Monday, December 13, 2010

Make a Memory

Big A and I have this memory that we share. It was a warm July evening about five years ago. We had just put Bubby and Sissy to bed and I sat down to use the computer while he flipped through the channels on the TV. The windows were open and there was a slight breeze moving through our house. I remember thinking how strange it was that we didn't need to run the air-conditioning.

He stopped flipping when he saw a Randy Travis special on PBS. We're country music fans here and Randy Travis is someone we both listened to when we were growing up. We both like his music (and we admire his faith), so I shut off the computer and joined Big A on the couch.

After a few minutes, he turned to me and said, "We should dance."

I laughed. We hadn't danced since our wedding. We just don't dance.

To my surprise, he was completely serious. He took my hand, pulled me off the couch and wrapped his arms around me.

And with his cheek pressed against mine, we danced. For at least a half hour, just melting into each other. The kids were asleep, the weather was beautiful, and it was just me and him. Well, and Randy.

To this day, when one of us says "the night we danced," we're transported back to that perfect night. When we hear a Randy Travis song on the radio, we just have to sigh and smile. That night, we didn't go out on the town. We didn't spend a lot of money to pay a sitter. We just enjoyed being together in our own living room.

My prayer for you, my sweet readers, is that you'll be encouraged this week to make a memory with your husband (or wife). Carve away a few hours to go on a hike or a bike ride. Play in the rain. Turn the TV off and play a game of Scrabble. Curl up on the porch swing with a blanket and watch the sun set.  It doesn't have to be planned or about sex at all. Just a simple, spontaneous memory that years later will take you both back to a place in time when you pushed everything else aside and just loved on each other for a while.

So that one day when the kids are driving you batty and you're wondering why the cell phone bill is so high and you need to get the gutters fixed and the carpets cleaned and little Tommy has to get braces and your mother is coming to visit, you can say a phrase and remember this special moment you shared.

Do you have a memory like this?

*Disclosure - Randy Travis paid me no money to mention his name here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment