Monday, December 13, 2010

What Not to Wear Every Day

If I could chose one piece of clothing to wear every day for the rest of my life, it would be my gray sweatpants. I love them. They love me back. Wearing them is like wearing a warm hug all day long.

For a stay-at-home mom though, they're perfect. When I'm wearing them, I can play on the floor with Chancho without feeling constricted. I can splatter them with cake batter and not worry if they'll be stained. I can exercise in them or take a nap on the couch in them and either way, I feel cozy.

One problem with these pants is that they aren't the most flattering on me. They make me look a few sizes bigger than I actually am. They also have a lot of give - I really don't notice if I'm eating too much because they stretch to fit.

Another problem is that I wear them too much. I realized this last week when I had a late afternoon doctor's appointment and was forced to put on real clothes - a nice shirt and jeans - for two hours.

Big A happened to arrive home before I was able to change back into my sweatpants and he was pleasantly surprised that I had real clothes on. After he told me how nice I looked, I asked him if he didn't like my sweatpants.

"They're okay, just not every day," he said.

I've made it a point this week to wear real clothes, nice clothes, when he walks in the door most evenings. Even if I've had on sweatpants most of the day (because of exercising, of course), I change into something cute. Tousle my hair a bit. Put on some lipgloss. Let him know I've been waiting for his return all day. And I think he's digging the jeans.

So have you fallen into the sweatpants routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment