Monday, December 13, 2010

Protecting the Little Ones, Part 1

I searched online for bubbles to purchase, you know, to protect our children. This was the only family friendly picture I found. You wouldn't believe all the crazy things people do with gigantic plastic bubbles. *shudder*
Ideally, I'd like to buy three of these for Bubby, Sissy and Chancho. Big plastic, protective, sound-proof bubbles. That way they'll never get hurt, they'll never hear bad words, and they'll never be able to touch anyone else else.
Since that's not possible, and since I've been very concerned about their little hearts and minds after seeing how my own early, wordly exposure to sex has affected me, I decided this year to be intentional about teaching them about love, intimacy and self worth. I've read many books and articles and interrogated many parents of older children to find out what worked for them. And for you, my bloggy friends, I've compiled a list of tips and resources. I ended up with a 1,700 word post, so I divided it to span two weeks.
1. Pray. Everything always starts here. I've been praying for my childrens' hearts since they were tiny, but lately, I've been praying more fervently. I sense an urgency these days to cover the three of them in prayers and in God's words, for protection, for guidance, for wisdom, for good friends to come their way.
2. Scripturize them. My favorite Bible passage about teaching children comes from Deuteronomy 6:5-9.
"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." 
We strive to make this our family's goal through devotions together and encouraging them to read the Bible on their own and ask questions when needed. I know first hand that what they learn now from God's word will stay in their hearts and minds. One day, when they need it the most, God's encouragement will be right there for them to recall. Even with all the ups and downs in my life, I hate to think of where I'd be today if no one showed me when I was younger how important I am to God.
3. Guard Their Senses. Having boys and a girl has taught me so much about the differences between the two sexes. While most things seem to go right over Bubby's head (at this stage in the game... I'm sure that will change as he gets older), Sissy picks up on everything and because of that, I have to be vigilant about what she watches and listens to. Shows that I used to think were harmless - including much of what is on the Disney Channel - I now see as too mature for her little mind and heart. As her mommy, I have to be her role model and show her what it means to be a young lady and it's much easier to do that when I'm not competing with a teen superstar on TV. As far as Bubby is concerned, by default, he's not watching much TV either, but he doesn't seem to mind. Our computer is in one of the main rooms of the house and they're only allowed to use it for games that Big A and I approve. No surfing the web or watching videos. I would also recommend a good web filter like http://www.bsecure.com/
4. ForHeavensSakes, LockYourBedroomDoor! To avoid scarring the children for life and burning an image in their minds that they will NEVER be able to get rid of (trust me, I know this from dreadful firsthand experience), lock the door. Most of the adults I know (myself included) have horrid memories of walking into our parents' rooms at ahem, inappropriate times, memories that they can't erase.  
Tune in next week for part 2 which includes a list of resources.
So how are you protecting your little ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment