Monday, December 13, 2010

Not Your Grandma's Underwear

I was a little leary of writing this week's topic because I didn't necessarily agree with it at first. The topic of granny panties versus "sexy" underwear is one that has always baffled me. I mean, why does it matter what I wear underneath my clothes when no one sees it or it usually comes off anyway? 

So I just wanted to start off giving my real, honest, fuddy-duddy opinion. 

However, I know that my views on this aren't the views of many people, including most men. And while I do question the necessity of places like Victoria's Secret, I realize I may just be a little boring. So as I go forward here, I'm going to try to keep an open mind as I answer this question:

Does the type of underwear really matter? 

According to my husband, yes. Sexy underwear wins over comfy and cozy every single time. And I'm sure the other male reading this agrees. A trip to Victoria's Secret is well worth the effort. It's no secret that men are visual creatures and seeing their wives wearing something racy and lacy is exciting. It's hard for me to relate to this because I am so not a visual person. Give me words and sounds and smells, and I'm good to go. But what surprises me is the number of women who said nicer panties trump their holey, seven-year-old counterparts anyday, but not because of how they look. The biggest response is that they make a woman feel more feminine which translates to more confidence and better intimacy.

I can attest to this idea. When I'm in my old, paint-covered sweatpants, I don't feel that attractive (although I do feel divinely comfortable). Add a pony-tail and ratty college t-shirt, and I'm ready to hibernate along with every ounce of my self-esteem. But when I take the time to look nice and put on real clothes and make-up, I just feel better about myself. So I can see how something nicer underneath has the same affect.

So the tip for us this week is to toss out any undergarments that...
-are more than five years old,
-have holes in them that aren't supposed to be there,
-you wore during the second or third trimesters of a pregnancy (or both),
-are too big/too small,
-make you say "ugh" when  you look in the mirror, or
-don't make you feel like a million bucks.

I'll be right there with you, and trust me, I have a lot of work to do. Since I probably can't replace everything in one swoop, I'll have to hold onto a few granny panties for now. Plus, I'm keeping one pair to act as my cotton-clad iron fortress. You know, for when I want to say "no way" without actually saying "no way."

No comments:

Post a Comment